Friday, March 6, 2015

Plant watering sticks


Bubs has a great desire to water plants and do flower arranging. He might just one day become a florist!  At his old school and in his current atrium, I had always observed these cute little sticks coming out from various plants.  I never really knew exactly what they were for.  I figured it had something to do with watering maybe, but didn't know exactly how it worked.  So I asked my future florist, aka Bubs!  He said that if there is a stick in the plant then it doesn't need to be watered, but if there was no stick then the plant needs water.

So I went searching for these cute little sticks to add to the environment.  Apparently it's not a good idea to seek out such garden paraphernalia when there is snow on the ground!  I went to the garden area of the store and it looked like it had been robbed.  Then it hit me that clearly it was still winter and I was not going to have good luck finding these sticks.  So I decided to make them.  My friend told me to just use popsicle sticks and Bubs took it from there. 


Kui of course had to join in and show him how to properly draw a flower for his stick.  So we ended up with some of hers and some of his.  Can you guess the ones he made?  I then laminated them and hot glued them to a popsicle stick.  I think they turned out pretty nice and no money was spent.

Bubs making shapes while the laminator was heating up.

 


 
Bubs then went around the environment placing his new plant watering sticks in the plants.  The plant below looks like it has seen better days......I think it might have gotten a little too much water and it is leaning sideways trying to run away!!  He of course watered all of them first really good.
 


After about 30 min of putting the new sticks, he asked if he could take it out so he could water.  I explained that it would indeed kill the plants if they are floating in water! And that's why we created these sticks so that there is no confusion as to whether or not a plant needs water.  Hopefully he will learn to follow his own rules that he created with the sticks.
 

Who can find the flowers in the pictures?  Did I forget to mention that Bubs LOVES flower arranging??
 

No comments:

Post a Comment