Thursday, January 21, 2016

History Question Charts

Well what do ya know?  I stumbled across this draft buried in my files somehow!  I thought I would complete it and get it posted for those who are curious as to the follow up from this post. 
 

This picture show how the charts stack nicely for a shelf.  It is hard to see in this picture the size of the individual charts.  See below for more pictures.
 
 
We have really been diving into SOTW (Story of the World) lately.  I think it has to do with how much I love it and how it flows across the different subject areas very well.  My only drawback is that I can't keep up with all of the library books needed for additional reading!  Our library doesn't have every book so I have to wait a day or two for them to get it from another library.  Kui is really enjoying it though. 
 
The following pictures are the History Question Charts from the Keys of the Universe (K of U) album that I use for Elementary.  My Boys Teacher at her blog has a great explanation on these charts and a description of how Maria Montessori has encouraged drawing while listening to history by the use of audiobooks.  SOTW has this option.  I currently use the book (because I had no idea that the audiobook would be such a great idea).  I know that Kui would thrive off of that because she begs me for SOTW almost daily.  She also reads so many history books from the library and is learning so much just through that. 
 



Unfortunately, the four colors that came in the pack of foam board were not ideal.  The blue is very dark.  Kui can see the questions when she is close up, but it is a little challenging.  I will have to search for another color and make this one over before Bubs moves up.  Let me add that to my ever growing to do list!
 
 
 The picture below shows Kui using her library books to help her answer some of the questions about Egyptians that she learned about through SOTW.  She was not a fan of how many questions were on the charts, but was excited when she started figuring out the answers and understanding how it all worked together.

The picture will enlarge when you click on it.  She places her index cards under the individual questions.  Sometimes there are no answers and the resources that she has does not give them to her.  She just moves on.
 
 
One thing that I am realizing is how many more resources we need in the classroom.  I am trying to incorporate as many books, encyclopedias, etc. to help with her additional research, but am finding it hard.  We want her to know how to use "old fashioned ways" of finding the answer to things instead of typing it in Google.  (Like her teacher does!)  Please comment if you have any suggestions.  Right now we only have a few types of dictionaries, an atlas, and an encyclopedia. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment