Monday, March 2, 2020

Global Cuisine - Israel

Mmmmm.....it all started in the early morning with Sufganiyot stuffed with dulce la leche and delicious tea.  DJ managed to whip out some Israeli donuts before Mass today.  I'm not sure how he manages to pull all of these things off, but he did and they were delicious.  

Kui wrote down all of the menu items for us this week.  Time was not on DJ's side by late afternoon for all of these and the cauliflower didn't make an appearance.  The baba ganoush made a late appearance very close to dessert and I actually don't have a picture.  It resembles a hummus that you can eat with pita bread for those who are interested.  It is made out of eggplant.  Interesting.... is really the only word I have to describe it!

Israeli Salad
I was put on a few tasks this Sunday since some last minute things popped up at church for DJ.  This was one of them.  Lots and lots of chopping, but it was well worth it.  This salad had tomatoes, cucumber, red and yellow bell pepper, red onion, fresh mint and parsley, lemon zest and lemon juice.  A great fresh element to the dinner for sure.  Kui, who would rather eat a snake than tomatoes, said she actually liked this.  Woohoo!!

Squash Gallette
Another task I was put on.  Let's say that this was definitely a first for me.  I have never made a dough using coconut oil and I think I never will again.  It was not the consistency I was expecting and very hard to work with.  I think I sort of pulled off what the pictures look like online!  Don't mind the hunk missing in the crust at the top of the picture.  DJ tore off a hunk to taste it and I said, "Seriously, I didn't get a pic first!"  This gallette has butternut squash, carrots, apple, and red onion.  It has a maple syrup and lemon drizzle.  
 
Falafel on pita with tahini sauce
Here is a picture with everything mixed together.  The way my hubby likes to eat it.  There is falafel made from chickpeas, tahini sauce made from sesame seeds, the salad, and some filling from the gallette.  


DJ showing you how to eat it (or perhaps he was just about to take a bite and I thought he was posing for me!)

Marzipan Chocolate Rugelach
Hmmm....as I'm writing this, I'm sensing a pattern.  This was also one of my tasks.  Now what did DJ actually make for Israel one might ask?!  Apparently it was the falafel and tahini sauce.  But hey, that's how it goes some weekends depending on what is going on.  We are all part of a family and many of the children pitched in to help cook or clean the dishes.  Ok back to the yummy dessert.  This was very time intensive and I would have preferred it been made with milk chocolate rather than dark, but very good though.  

The children had costumes and a play all ready, but then a certain child decided to cause drama for everyone and everything was called off by the head honcho in charge, Kui!  She called it off once one of the cast members left and so we have no pictures or a play to show for Israel.  However, the kids did have a surprise visitor, their pediatrician made a house call!  Mumbs has not been feeling well so her doctor stopped by after Mass and it ended up being perfect timing for dinner.  She joined us for dinner and made our night special.  They shared all about our tradition and the previous countries that we have done. 

Next week, Portugal!  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment